Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: What am I doing?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member allthingsag's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2005
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am 61 years old and started collecting last May. I really don't play with my dolls but rather exhibit them. I get a smile when I go past one of the vignettes and see how cute they look.
    Don't start worrying about how other people think. It's really about how you think of yourself. People will come and go in your life, but you are the one who gets up every morning and looks in the morning. It helps to like that person.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member cami713's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm 20, and I really do care about what other people think of me. I wish I could just say "meh who cares?," but I really can't.

    I do display my dolls in my room, and won't be moving them anytime soon. As far as I'm concerned, anyone I'm allowing entrance to my room either knows that I collect these dolls, or I'm comfortable with them enough to know that they don't care, or wont say anything (or if they do, it's jokingly).

    I've already decided that whenever people do come into my room and give me THAT look accompanied with a "you collect dolls?" I shall take the time to inform them that I don't collect dolls, I collect American Girl dolls. They're not regular old dolls, and then I proceed to show them the books, and a catalogue or two, and the website. These really are special dolls, they're informational, and educational, as well as cute. They asked a question, and I'm going to properly answer. They'll just find out in the process not to ask me silly questions.

    I don't think anyone should base their collecting or liking of something based on what other people find acceptable. I find it hard to believe that ANYONE doesn't have some quirk that most people would find "odd." I know I have a few, but I really don't care when people raise eyebrows at me. I like what I like, and I think if everyone would just stop judging people for liking something different, the world would honestly be a very peaceful, happy place.

    I'm not ashamed of my dolls in the least, but I would never give the information for no reason. I hate to say that I think you "opened" yourself up to someone making fun of you. Not saying they should have, but you easily could have said that you weren't sure yet what, if anything, you'd buy. I wish the world didn't have to be so close-minded that we have to hide silly things like this, but if you're uncomfortable with how people react when you tell them, just don't.

  3. #13
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you ever feel "odd" about collecting dolls, try watching Marie Osmond on QVC. HSN used to have a doll show as well, but I'm not sure if they do now or not. I watch just for fun--never to buy--because it's great to see grown women collect dolls. Sometimes they have a life show, with an audience full of adult doll collectors. It definitely shows you, visibly, that you are not alone. Best of all, they make no apologies for it--they love it and it's a very innocent hobby.

    I feel a lot worse for the people who don't have any hobby except watching television, which seems to be more and more normal these days. Be proud you have something you enjoy doing! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Samanthasmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    392
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This just makes me laugh, why is it that girls are to old to play with dolls but for boys its okay to be a kid till they are MEN, Full grown men.. I cant tell you how many MEN I know still run out and buy the latest version of PlayStation, or GameCube, which by the way is about 300.00 for playstation and each game ranging from about 40.00-65.00 .. But that is okay , WHY??? Men can still go out and play football, Hockey , video games and no one thinks this is odd behavior.. Men can collect baseball cards and that is perfectly acceptable to everyone , but a little girl past the age of 10 isn't supposed to play with dolls??? Go Figure!!!
    When people say**** those dolls are so expensive.. I laugh and say ohh how much was your childs Playstation 300.00 ohh yeah and that was last years version now worth about 50.00 if not less!! The games once completed are basicly useless to the kid and he can trade in his very expensive 60.00 game for about 15.00. I laugh and say .... Im so glad I have all daughters LOL...Nothing against boys but I have many nephews who I have seen go through this ,and nothing seems to hold thier value there is always newer and better and the next version.. NOT with AG... And if you want to have / play/ use dolls as an adult go for it.. who cares what other people think!!!

  5. #15
    Inactive Member MaryCarly's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am assuming your doctor's reaction was due to your age. If you were much younger or much older, she wouldn't have thought a thing about it. Docs are trained to look sideways at teens and young adults in case there is some sort of problem. The same doctor that happily chatted with my husband about their mutual video game hobby got all bristly with my teenage son on his visit when my son told him his hobby was video games. Doctors go by the book and by statistics and they often believe that every teen that comes through the door is destined to become a social misfit if they don't intervene. It took a lot of explaining on my part before the doctor would let my son and I go. He was determined to prove that he was correct and that my son was antisocial and heading for a life of obesity. Never mind the fact that my son works out, is super thin, and has lots of friends (many of which share his love of video games.) For awhile, I think the doctor was actually considering calling social services. [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]

    Doctors are just people. It is cool to look to them for medical advice. Just keep in mind that they are not trained in other areas and your hobbies are none of their business. Though I bet if you were to go to the same doc in a few years and tell them that you collect dolls as a way to deal with stress, you would get a smile and a pat on the back. LOL

  6. #16
    MissCurlyCat
    Guest MissCurlyCat's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by Samanthasmom:
    This just makes me laugh, why is it that girls are to old to play with dolls but for boys its okay to be a kid till they are MEN, Full grown men.. I cant tell you how many MEN I know still run out and buy the latest version of PlayStation, or GameCube, which by the way is about 300.00 for playstation and each game ranging from about 40.00-65.00 .. But that is okay , WHY??? Men can still go out and play football, Hockey , video games and no one thinks this is odd behavior.. Men can collect baseball cards and that is perfectly acceptable to everyone , but a little girl past the age of 10 isn't supposed to play with dolls??? Go Figure!!!
    When people say**** those dolls are so expensive.. I laugh and say ohh how much was your childs Playstation 300.00 ohh yeah and that was last years version now worth about 50.00 if not less!! The games once completed are basicly useless to the kid and he can trade in his very expensive 60.00 game for about 15.00. I laugh and say .... Im so glad I have all daughters LOL...Nothing against boys but I have many nephews who I have seen go through this ,and nothing seems to hold thier value there is always newer and better and the next version.. NOT with AG... And if you want to have / play/ use dolls as an adult go for it.. who cares what other people think!!!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think I cn tell you why men can do that. It's because women are the 'mature' and 'grown up' ones who out grow 'childish' things. I don't think likeing AG dolls is at all only reserved for the young. [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img]

  7. #17
    Inactive Member WritersRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2006
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Personally, I think life is too short to live to please people who aren't even in my daily lives! So what if you got an odd look for collecting dolls? Doll collecting is the number 2 hobby on earth...second only to stamp collecting!

    Seriously...I know what God expects of me, I know what my country expects of me (following the law of the land) and I know what my family expects of me and needs of me. As long as I can live up to those responsibilites and mantain a good grip on reality and finicial stability, why not live for joy? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    As Alanis Morisette once sang: "Heaven forbid average! Whatever average means..."

  8. #18
    Inactive Member angelnise's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 9th, 2006
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am made fun of by people when I first tell them about my hobby.

    They quit laughing when I share it with them.

    I bought my 38 year old best friend a bitty baby for Christmas. I gave her one of the mini easter baskets I made yesterday.

    I brought a mini madame alexander doll dressed in a tennis outfit from burger king to the office and gave it to the same best friend, and then two more people at my office went out and bought a burger king kid's meal.

    Whenever anyone comes over, they ALWAYS ask to see my playroom. Even the guys like it but won't admit it. They look around at all the little stuff too.

    My DH says, if you're sick, go in the pink room, it's like pepto bismol for your eyes.

    Everyone I'm close to asks me if I've done anything with my dolls or made something new or bought anything.

    I'm 30. I play with dolls.
    And if the rest of the world thinks I'm crazy for taking my Jess with me on vacation, then maybe I am....but I have a lot of friends under the age of 14 who think I'm the coolest person they know, and they keep me young.
    [img]wink.gif[/img]

  9. #19
    Inactive Member mayergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    789
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Don't worry even the littlest bit about people looking at you like you're crazy. I worked for a member of Congress this summer, and had to leave work early one night to catch my plane to go to the MCM sale. Since it's Congress, you have to tell them where you're going and why if you want that hour off. When I told them I was going to a doll sale, they all kind of chuckled and teased me about it. Ten minutes later, I get four emails. They were from each of the four ladies in my office. One said, "I collect Barbies and love it! Don't feel bad if they tease you. I'd love to go to a cut price barbie sale!" The second and third ones were along the lines of "I had one of those! I wonder if my mom still has it...I would love to take her back out." and the fourth one was, "I just looked at the website, and I'd like to get one for my stepdaughter, which one should I pick." When I got back, everyone, guys included made their way into my cubby (not big enough to be an office) to ask me about it! Even the guys wanted to talk about how much I saved, and the value of the dolls. It was great, and it made me feel really proud of my hobby [img]smile.gif[/img] So remember, even if people act like you're weird, or tease you about it, it's probably just because they don't want to get excited about dolls in front of other people. My parents and all of my friends love my AG collecting. They see how happy it makes me, and that it's really a legacy for my own children (someday, I'm 20, and completely single, lol). Be proud! We AG collectors are a rare and awesome breed [img]smile.gif[/img]

  10. #20
    Inactive Member Bean Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    465
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Think of it as Zen Gardening.

    The idea is that doing something that means nothing (dressing dollies) clears your mind and makes you feel better.

    Yeah, I feel embarrased, but I know it's a hobby that makes me feel relaxed and happy, so I'm not as ashamed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •